Welcome to Day 1 of the 10-Day Chess Challenge!
On Day 1 of the challenge you will learn the 5-step method to calculate tactics.
Summary of the 5-step Calculation process:
- Find opponent’s threats
- Identify tactical targets and motifs
- Calculate all the checks
- Calculate all the captures
- Calculate all the tempo-moves
Day 1: Exercises
How To Calculate Tactics
The video below contains a few exercises to help you practice the 5-step calculation process. (Don’t skip this if you’re serious about improving your game).
End of Day 1 | Go to Day 2
Did you miss any updates?
- The most important moment in your development as a chess player (all levels)
- How to improve your chess “working memory” (intermediate/advanced)
- A great visualization exercise from a game by Kasparov (intermediate)
- Interactive master game with instructive comments (intermediate/advanced)
- 4 Important chess lessons that computer-engines teach us (all levels)
- A useful endgame tactic you should know (all levels)
- 2 Easy tactics that are hard to solve if you don’t know the motif (beginner/intermediate)
- Visualization skill test (intermediate/advanced)
- Amazing sequence of forced tactical moves (all levels)
- Pin Tactics Part 1 Easy (beginner/intermediate)
- 2 reasons why your openings fail (and how to fix it) (beginner/intermediate)
- Sometimes you get lucky (nice tactic from a blitz game) (all levels)
- Positional tactics (intermediate)
- 4 Important Elements of an Effective Chess Calculation Technique (intermediate/advanced)
- Chess tactics quiz: Test your skill (all levels)
- How To Get Better At Chess Tactics (all levels)