Let’s put your visualization skill to the test. How many moves can you see ahead?
Compare your findings to the solutions given below.
Visualization Skill Test #1 Solutions
If you enjoyed this visualization test, please share it with your chess friends!
How well did you do?
- Beginners will usually have a hard time keeping track of all the consequences beyond 3-4 ply (Rating below 1200)
- Advanced beginners will be able to keep track of the position up to 4-5 ply but will have difficulty in answering the questions (Est. rating range: 1200-1400)
- Intermediate players should be able to visualize and solve all the questions comfortably up to 4-5 ply (Est. rating range: 1400-1600)
- Experienced club players should be able to visualize all the moves but have difficulty to answer all the questions (Est. rating range: 1600-1900)
- Advanced players and masters will be able to visualize 8-ply in this position AND solve all the tactics along the way (Est. rating range: 1900+)
Note: The above comments are subjective and there will be plenty of exceptions. In some cases low-rated players are able to visualize deeper than their rating suggests. Similarly, experienced players may have difficulty visualizing deep variations and they mostly depend on their positional understanding.
Want to further improve your calculation skill?
Here’s my top 3 products that I recommend for improving your tactical and visualization abilities: